Sunday 29 March 2015

The Appeal of Furry Mammals

My chief passion since I took up photography  about five years ago has been to catch birds in flight. It still is. However, I can't help noticing that when I post pictures on Facebook it always seems to be the occasional picture of a mammal that draws the warmest reaction. I think this Fox however looked a bit too mean and focused to elicit many "oohs" and "aahs"


I photographed it at Seaton in Devon on the Axe Estuary Reserve. There is a tourist tram service that runs alongside the estuary and I caught it running along the lines. It is obviously intent on something. The following day I went back to try to get another shot. For various heart-breaking reasons I missed the main opportunity as it ran along the lines in the other direction this time. I did however get this fleeting shot.
 


Rubbish photo, but interesting because you can see it has milk teats showing beneath. It is obviously a vixen with a brood of young in the earth. It should be very active over the next few weeks so I will be going back to see what I can do.

Another mammal readily seen on this reserve is the humble rabbit. Funnily enough I do not seem to see many rabbit photos posted on the web, oerhaps they are too common to interest anyone. Anyway, I like a good rabbit photo or two.






Other than these recent photos, I have to go back into my archive to find more mammal photos. Compared to Rabbits, Hares are very popular. Here are a few of my Hare shots collected over the years. I would love to get some more and I am always on the look out.





Some photographers set themselves specific subjects to photograph and study over an extended period. I think this is a good idea and there are some fantastic collections to be found online. I find myself to me more of an opportunistic generalist, photographing whatever I come across and crossing my fingers that some of the shots will be OK.

This Mink was also photographed at the Seaton Reserve. I was really lucky that it came out into the open and showed itself for a few seconds. They are not popular animals of course. They rob eggs and nestlings from the breeding shore birds. They are controlled on most reserves, but still manage to keep a toehold.




 Whilst the Mink may not be that cute, this Wood Mouse certainly is. Ten out of ten I would say.



 I am going to try to concentrate on mammals a bit this year. Much more difficult than birds of course. They are timid and elusive but that just sounds like an interesting challenge to me!

Please visit my website www.johncrabb.co.uk and, if you have not already, perhaps you would like to "like" my Facebook page at www.facebook.com/JohnCrabbWildlifeImages












 

No comments:

Post a Comment